DECEMBER 2018/JANUARY 2019
- Beginning in December 2018, teachers may register for the 2019 Heritage Fairs season on Heritage Saskatchewan's website. At this point, teachers register their classroom/school and the total number of their students creating projects. Once registration of teachers is closed in February, Regional Committees will inform teachers how many students they can send to the Regional Fair.
- Begin development of Heritage Fair projects using inquiry learning and plan for six weeks to complete the process.
- Saskatchewan students from grade 4 to 8 are eligible to participate. Students are asked to create a visual presentation (backboard, video, et cetera), written report including bibliography and be prepared to verbally present their project findings. Students in other grades can participate at the school level.
- In some schools only one classroom participates while in others many classrooms participate and a school Heritage Fair is organized.
February 4th (Monday)
- Deadline to register your classroom to participate in the Heritage Fair program. Please use the online registration system
- Each teacher participating may register their classes, or one teacher at the school can register all of the classes and include the additional teachers' names at the bottom of the registration page.
- Approximately two weeks after the deadline, your Regional Heritage Fair Committee will let you know how many students can represent your school at the Regional Heritage Fair.
February through beginning of April
- Local Heritage Fairs at schools. (Can take place earlier in December/January as well.)
- Once students are selected for the Regional Heritage Fairs, please use the online registration system to register the winning students. Teachers are encouraged to register their students that have been selected to attend the Regional Fairs as soon as their school fair has been completed.
- The Regional Heritage Fair Committees have lots of details to finalize for the event - they need a complete list of registrants to make the event happen in a timely manner.
April 8 (Monday) (subject to change as dates for Regional Heritage Fairs are finalised)
- Deadline for registration of students for all Regional Heritage Fairs. Please use the online registration system.
- Currently, the website will close for registrations as of 11:59pm on Monday, April 8 and anyone who has made a request in advance for extension after this date must submit registrations via email.
- Teachers should work with Monday, April 8, as the registration deadline for the Regional Fairs when planning their own timelines.
TBD - Saskatoon Tribal Council Heritage Fair @ Wanuskewin Heritage Park
May 2 (Thursday) - Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair @ Swift Current Museum
May 9 (Thursday) - Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair @ Moose Jaw Western Development Museum
May 10 (Friday) – Regina Regional Heritage Fair @ Campus Regina Public
May 15-16 (Wed./Thurs.) – Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair @ Saskatoon Western Development Museum
May 21 (Tuesday) – Deadline for registration of students for Provincial Heritage Fair
May 28 & 29 (Tues.-Wed.) – 2019 Provincial Heritage Fair @ Government House
The 2019 Provincial Heritage Fair will be held at Government House in Regina. Participating students have the opportunity to represent their school, meet other students from across the province, present their projects to the public including elected officials, heritage practitioners (archaeologist, historian, architect, community planners, et cetera) and interested individuals, participate in exciting, hands-on, interactive workshops and presentations and compete for awards. Details about accommodations, travel, workshops, judging, et cetera will be provided closer to the date.