The 2019 Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair took place on Wednesday, May 15th, and Thursday, May 16th, at the Saskatoon Western Development Museum. The Heritage Fair included exciting actitivities for students – including the ArchaeoCaravan, Nature Saskatchewan, and the Western Development Museum – as well as numerous awards.
Congratulations to all who participated in the 2019 Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair!
A special congratulations to the following award winners:
- Arts, Sports & Leisure Award: Emma Olson (Gr. 6), Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Citizenship & Governance Award: Lorrand Wong (Gr. 7), Les immigrants chinois au Canada
- Indigenous Cultural Heritage Award: Mackenzie McLeod & Hayden Wolfe (Gr. 8), First Nations Fashion Designers
- Genealogy Award*: Lily Elliott (Gr. 6), The 60s Scoop and My Adoption
- Military Heritage Award: Preston England (Gr. 5), Mark England and the Canadian & British Air Forces
- Multicultural Heritage Award: Harshan Natt (Gr. 8), The Indigenous Struggle
- Natural Heritage Award: Olivia Orosz (Gr. 4), The Frank Slide
- Science & Technology Award: Faiz Mubarak (Gr. 6), The Canadian Space Agency
- Society & Justice Award: Kara Paul & Jinnoah Smith (Gr. 5), LBGTQIA
- Archives Award: Mitchell Kielo (Gr. 7), Avondale Schoole
- Digital Media Award: Jaron Blais & Brayden Swedgan-Angus (Gr. 6), The Halifax Explosion
- Innovation Award: Dianna Pinzon (Gr. 7), The Man Who Tried to Kill My Family
- Historical Thinking Award: Claire Jarvis (Gr. 6), Chanie Wenjack
Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation Saskatchewan Heritage Award: Mason Richter (Gr. 7), Pioneer Homes
Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame Sport Heritage Award: Laine Skaalid (Gr. 8), Women's Softball in Canada
* - The Genealogy Award was sponsored in 2019 by the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society.
Selected for Provincial Fair:
- George Wang (Gr. 8), The Future of the Film Industry: IMAX
- Dakota Wood (Gr. 7), Viola Desmond
- Amaris Manning (Gr. 7), The Halifax Explosion
- Elise Pigeon & Anita Trickett (Gr. 7), L'évolution des Canadiens-français
- Sheradan Done (Gr. 6), Stamps & Their Sticky Past
- Alyssa Peters (Gr. 5), Laura Second
- Allister Merrifield (Gr. 8), The Tunnels of Moose Jaw
- Madelyn Wright (Gr. 7), Irish Potato Famine
- Ari Vass (Gr. 6), Winnie the Pooh
- Magnus Ivanans & Brayden Reddekopp (Gr. 6), Vimy Ridge
- Jasmine Yao (Gr. 6), First Chinese Immigrants to Canada
- Reese Legge (Gr. 7), Gardiner Dam
- Cairo Demencuik-Angus (Gr. 6), Nehiyaw
- Mara Pearson & Eva Underhill (Gr. 7), Women's Suffrage Movement
- Jayella Funk (Gr. 5), Frederick Banting: A Canadian Medical Hero
Local Award Winners (sponsored by Saskatoon-area organizations & businesses):
- Leah Boyer (Gr. 7), Battle of Batoche (sponsored by Eagle Feather News)
- Halle Wulff (Gr. 5), The Way Back Home (sponsored by Dr. Elizabeth Phipps)
- Emma Schubert (Gr. 8), Est-ce-que John A. Macdonald était une bonne ou mauvaise personne? (sponsored by Canadian Parents for French - SK Branch)
- Mayah Greenan (Gr. 4), Jeanne Mance (sponsored by the Diefenbaker Canada Centre)
- Ella Manoucheri (Gr. 4), Casa Loma: Canada's Castle (sponsored by the Delta Bessborough Hotel)
- Sadie Clarke (Gr. 7), Le fauteuil roulant électrique (sponsored by the Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon)
- Elena Fortugno (Gr. 7), La résistance du Nord-Ouest (sponsored by the Association jeunesse fransaskoise)
Teachers must register (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website) to participate in the Heritage Fair program by the first Monday in February of each year. In 2020, that deadline will be February 3. Approximately one month after teachers have registered, the Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair Committee will let registered teachers know how many students can represent their schools at the Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair.
Once teachers have completed their Classroom and/or School Heritage Fair, teachers register their students selected to represent their school at the Regional Fair by April 6, 2020, on the online registration system (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website).
Please contact Sandra Brookman at email@example.com for more information about the Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair.
Please contact Katherine Gilks for more information about the Heritage Fairs program in general, or for questions regarding registration.