The 2020 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair has been cancelled. Please see our 2020 Virtual Heritage Fair page!
The 2019 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair took place on Thursday, May 9th, at the Moose Jaw Western Development Museum. The Regional Heritage Fair included exciting, interactive activities for students hosted by the Saskatchewan Archaeological Society, the Saskatchewan Science Centre, and the Western Development Museum - along with a visit to the Sukanen Ship Pioneer Village and Museum! – as well as numerous awards.
Congratulations to all who participated in the 2019 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair!
A special congratulations to the following award winners:
- Arts, Sports & Leisure Award: Payson Peterson (Gr. 7), Saddle Bronc Riding
- Citizenship & Governance Award: Daniel Mulolani (Gr. 7), Black Canadians in Government
- Indigenous Cultural Heritage Award: Hiba Faisal & Grace Paicu (Gr. 6), The Cree Language
- Genealogy Award*: Faith Mahata Tracy (Gr. 7), Congolese Immigration to Canada
- Military Heritage Award: Nicholas Schenk (Gr. 8), Canada's Military Contributions During WWI
- Multicultural Heritage Award: Rhodina Tschetter (Gr. 6), The People of the North
- Natural Heritage Award: Mary-Jane Doherty (Gr. 8), Vikings
- Science & Technology Award: Emma-Leigh Vancoughnett (Gr. 8), Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment
- Archives Award: Avery Surtees (Gr. 7), Chris Hadfield: The First Canadian Commander of the ISS
- Digital Media Award: Reese Nelson (Gr. 8), Canada's Part in Astronomy and Space Exploration
- Innovation Award: Estera Tschetter (Gr. 6), Blood & Iron: The Canadian Pacific Railroad
- Historical Thinking Award: Shayda Boychuk & Harlee Tichit (Gr. 8), The Great Depression and How it Affected Canada
Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation Saskatchewan History Award: Lilly Breti (Gr. 5), The Willow Bunch Giant
Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame Sport Heritage Award: Chase Seaborn (Gr. 6), Saskatchewan Roughriders
* - The Genealogy Award is sponsored in 2019 by the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society.
Selected for Provincial Fair:
- Shayda Boychuk & Harlee Tichit (Gr. 8), The Great Depression and How It Affected Canada
- Mary-Jane Doherty (Gr. 8), Vikings
- Daniel Mulolani (Gr. 7), Black Canadians in Government
- Emma-Leigh Vancoughnett (Gr. 8), Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment
- Nicholas Schenk (Gr. 8), Canada's Military Contributions During WWI
- Kylee Michaluk (Gr. 6), Child Labour in Canada
- Avery Surtees (Gr. 7), Chris Hadfield: The First Canadian Commander of the ISS
- Rhodina Tschetter (Gr. 6), The People of the North
- EsteraTschetter (Gr. 6), Blood & Iron: The Canadian Pacific Railroad
- Kassidy Farago (Gr. 8), Doris Barr
- Chase Seaborn (Gr. 6), Saskatchewan Roughriders
Local Award Winners (sponsored by Moose Jaw-area organizations & businesses):
- Sana Alkhaldi, Immigration
- Temi Arowolo, Viola Desmond
- Marcus Capili, The Canadian Mint
- Matthew Closs, Provinces and Territories
- Alora de Jager, Pier 21
- Hailey Dutchik, Fort Walsh
- Kassidy Farago, Doris Barr
- Jada Gauthier, Type 1 Diabetes in Canada
- Donovan Harkness, Trapping
- Autumn Johnson, Julie Payette
- Austin Kretsch, England and Canada
- Caiden Lamontagne, CP Rail
- Presley McLeod, Avril Lavigne
- Grady Neufeld, The Saskatchewan Legislative Building
- Savannah Petersen, The BC Spiral Tunnels
- Samuel Schmidt, War of 1812
- Chris Swanson, A Voice for Choice
- Rhyen Ubell, The Willow Bunch Giant
- Ethan Villamor & Jelone Magat, Pilipino Cuisine
- Gracie Walz, Canadian Weather
- Hunter Wightman, The Vast Klondike: The Last Great Gold Rush
Teachers must register (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website) to participate in the Heritage Fair program by the first Monday in February of each year. In 2020, that deadline will be Monday, February 3. Approximately one month after teachers have registered, the Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair Committee will let registered teachers know how many students can represent their schools at the Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair.
Once teachers have completed their Classroom and/or School Heritage Fair, teachers register their students selected to represent their school at the Regional Fair by April 6, 2020, on the online registration system (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website).
Please contact Katherine Gilks for more information about the Heritage Fairs program in general, or for questions regarding registration.