The 2017 Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair took place on Friday, April 28th, at the Swift Current Museum. The Fair included exciting activities for students hosted by the Museums Association of Saskatchewan and Heritage Saskatchewan, as well as numerous awards.
Congratulations to all who participated in the 2017 Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair!
A special congratulations to the following award winners:
- Arts, Sports & Leisure Award: Kelsey Dyck (Gr. 6), The Group of Seven
- Citizenship & Governance Award: Ruby Zummack (Gr. 7), The History of Canadian Women's Rights
- First Nations & Métis Heritage Award: Justice MacDonald (Gr. 6), Residential Schools
- Genealogical Heritage Award: Cole Tangen (Gr. 6), World Wars
- Military Heritage Award: Dylan Lacasse (Gr. 6), The Old Forts Trail
- Multicultural Heritage Award: Colby Campbell (Gr. 6), Kootenai Brown
- Natural Heritage Award: Brady Kohls (Gr. 6), The Mystery of Oak Island
- Science & Technology Award: Brody Ikert (Gr. 5), Chris Hadfield
- Archives Award: Sophia Curti (Gr. 6), Laura Secord
- Digital Award: Hailey Lowe (Gr. 6), The Battle of Alberta in the 1980s
- Innovation Award: Elizabeth Woods (Gr. 6), Penny Oleksiak
- Historical Thinking Award: Ella Lapuz (Gr. 6), The Great Depression
Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation Award: Marie Tsougrianis (Gr. 6), Corner Gas
Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame Sport Heritage Award: Ava Geissler (Gr. 6), Hayley Wickenheiser
150th Anniversary of Canadian Confederation Award: J.J. Zummack (Gr. 7), The Indian Act of 1876
Selected for Provincial Fair:
- Colby Campbell (Gr. 6), Kootenai Brown
- Sophia Curti (Gr. 6), Laura Secord
- Kelsey Dyck (Gr. 6), The Group of Seven
- Ella Lapuz (Gr. 6), The Great Depression
- Heidi Spetz (Gr. 6), The Webb Bus Crash
- Earl Ubongen (Gr. 6), Terry Fox
- Ruby Zummack (Gr. 7), The History of Canadian Women's Rights
Selected for Canada's History Society's Young Citizens Program:
- Delaney Dyck (Gr. 6), Swift Current
- Coby McCann (Gr. 8), Famous Canadian Discoveries in Paleontology
- J.J. Zummack (Gr. 7), The Indian Act of 1876
Teachers must register (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website) to participate in the Heritage Fair program by the first Monday in February of each year. In 2018, that deadline will be February 5.
Approximately one month after teachers have registered, the Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair Committee will let registered teachers know how many students can represent their schools at the Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair.
Once teachers have completed their Classroom and/or School Heritage Fair, teachers register their students selected to represent their school at the Regional Fair by April 6, 2018, on the online registration system (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website).
Please contact Stephanie Kaduck, at email@example.com for more information about the Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair.
Please contact Katherine Gilks at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the Heritage Fairs program in general, or for questions regarding registration.