The 2018 Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair took place on Thursday, May 10th, and Friday, May 11th, at the Saskatoon Western Development Museum. The Heritage Fair included exciting actitivities for students – including the ArchaeoCaravan, the Diefenbaker Centre, the Saskatchewan Science Centre, and the Western Development Museum Curatorial Centre – as well as numerous awards.
Congratulations to all who participated in the 2018 Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair!
A special congratulations to the following award winners:
- Arts, Sports & Leisure Award: Kate Wright (Gr. 8), John Arcand Fiddle Fest
- Citizenship & Governance Award: Lauren Wright (Gr. 8), Sir Sandford Fleming
- First Nations & Métis Heritage Award: Hannah Ball (Gr. 8), The Indigenous Connection Between Animals and People
- Genealogical Heritage Award: Samantha Adams (Gr. 8), My Artistic Family
- Military Heritage Award: Alex Morrison (Gr. 7), The Avro Arrow
- Multicultural Heritage Award: Hailey Burton (Gr. 4), Dutch Immigration to Canada
- Natural Heritage Award: Shiv Patel (Gr. 6), Honey
- Science & Technology Award: Thessa Mysko (Gr. 8), Frederick Banting
- Archives Award: Kimberley Hood (Gr. 8), Mes ancetres canadiennes et anglaises
- Digital Media Award: Colton Strandquist (Gr. 7), Residential Schools
- Innovation Award: Oliver Heinrichs (Gr. 5), Gardiner Dam
- Historical Thinking Award: Jessica Bergstrom (Gr. 7), How A Piece of Straw Can Change Your Life
Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation Saskatchewan History Award: Wyatt Wurtz (Gr. 7), The Speckle Park
Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame Sport Heritage Award: Jocelyne Hruska (Gr. 7), History of Lacrosse
Selected for Provincial Fair:
- Alex Brown (Gr. 8), War Guests in Canada
- Anna Cheriyan (Gr. 6), Tracks of Tragedy
- Muhammad Imran (Gr. 7), The Canadian Space Agency
- Prarthona Datta (Gr. 5), Dr. Verna St. Denis
- Ashlyn Gessell (Gr. 7), Viola Desmond
- Allister Merrifield (Gr. 7), Fur Trapping in Canada
- Maya Asdaghi & Farah Haji (Gr. 8), In Search of Better Equity
- Louisse Occena (Gr. 8), Wooden Grain Elevators
- Robin Sullivan (Gr. 8), Royal Tyrrell Museum
- George Wang (Gr. 7), Canadarms
- Liam Kleinsasser (Gr. 7), My Great-Grandfather & the Freemasons
- Ayden Sand (Gr. 7), The Underground Railroad
- Magnus Ivanans (Gr. 5), The Klondike Gold Rush
- Abhinav Menon (Gr. 5), John Diefenbaker
- Dakota Wood & Rhianna Wood (Grs. 6 & 8), The Frank Slide
Local Award Winners (sponsored by Saskatoon-area organizations & businesses):
- Austin Burton (Gr. 8), Battle of Batoche (sponsored by Eagle Feather News)
- Jayden Head (Gr. 8), Residential Schools (sponsored by Dr. Elizabeth Phipps)
- Kaelyn Collins & Clara Knox (Gr. 8), La danse et la musique des Metis (sponsored by Canadian Parents for French - SK Branch)
- Harsheen Kairon (Gr. 8), Lafontaine, Baldwin, and Responsible Government (sponsored by the Diefenbaker Canada Centre)
- Jordan Merrifield (Gr. 4), Hudson's Bay Company (sponsored by Remai Modern)
- Sara Striker (Gr. 7), Missinipe (sponsored by the Delta Bessborough Hotel)
Teachers must register (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website) to participate in the Heritage Fair program by the first Monday in February of each year. In 2018, that deadline was February 5. Approximately one month after teachers have registered, the Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair Committee will let registered teachers know how many students can represent their schools at the Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair.
Once teachers have completed their Classroom and/or School Heritage Fair, teachers register their students selected to represent their school at the Regional Fair by April 13, 2018, on the online registration system (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website).
Please contact Sandra Brookman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair.
Please contact Katherine Gilks for more information about the Heritage Fairs program in general, or for questions regarding registration.