The 2018 Regina Regional Heritage Fair took place on Friday, May 4th, at Campus Regina Public (1069 14th Ave E). As well as the judging of Heritage Fair projects, the day included exciting activities for the students presented by the Regina Public School Division, Regina Catholic School Division, Prairie Valley School Division, and the Conseil des écoles fransaskoises. The 2019 Regina Regional Heritage Fair has been tentatively set for Friday, May 10th, 2019, in the same venue.
Congratulations to all who participated in the 2018 Regina Regional Heritage Fair!
A special congratulations to the following award winners:
- Arts, Sports & Leisure Award: Paige Patrick (Gr. 7), 10 Tree
- Citizenship & Governance Award: Elian Rapaport (Gr. 7), Insulin
- First Nations & Métis Heritage Award: Mohlil Imran (Gr. 8), Cree
- Genealogical Heritage Award: Saralyn Wiesner (Gr. 7), Mutrie
- Military Heritage Award: Lauren Schoenhofen (Gr. 7), World War I
- Multicultural Heritage Award: Navera Siddiqui (Gr. 8), Islamophobia in Canada
- Natural Heritage Award: Anya Shyian (Gr. 8), Canada's Dead Sea
- Science & Technology Award: Saren Petrychyn (Gr. 6), Wilder Penfield: "I Smell Burnt Toast"
- Archives Award: Tennyson Webb (Gr. 6), Destination Canada
- Digital Media Award: Maddox Deiter & Jaxen Fischer (Gr. 7/8), Hockey Cards
- Innovation Award: Eli Gettle (Gr. 6), Pulse Crops in Saskatchewan: Lentils and Beans
- Historical Thinking Award: Mariel Boucher (Gr. 8), Charlotte Edith Anderson Monture
Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation Award: Miyoso Cardinal (Gr. 6), Residential Schools
Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame Sport Heritage Award: William Blais (Gr. 7), Le Forum de Montréal
Selected for Provincial Fair:
- Kennedy Matsalla (Gr. 4), Halifax
- Belle Gelsinger (Gr. 4), Farming
- Callah Sebastian (Gr. 5), Slumach's Gold
- Kiera Muckelt-Landry (Gr. 5), The Canadian Cancer Society
- Jarret Hayward (Gr.5), Niagara Falls
- Ryan Switzer (Gr. 6), Newfoundland Pulp and Paper
- Saren Petrychyn (Gr. 6), Wilder Penfield: "I Smell Burnt Toast"
- Lauren Schoenhofen (Gr. 7), World War I
- Alexandra Mackenzie & Alexa Materi (Gr. 7), Our Farm, Our Heritage
- William Blais (Gr. 7), Le Forum de Montréal
- Mayanne Baum & Lucy Wright (Gr. 7), The Pacemaker
- Navera Siddiqui (Gr. 8), Islamophobia in Canada
- Mariel Boucher (Gr. 8), Charlotte Edith Anderson Monture
- Émil Ouellet (Gr. 8), Le Canada en Afghanistan
- Anya Shyian (Gr. 8), Canada's Dead Sea
Teachers must register (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website) to participate in the Heritage Fair program by the first Monday in February of each year. In 2018, that deadline was February 6. Approximately one month after teachers have registered, the Regina Regional Heritage Fair Committee will let registered teachers know how many students can represent their schools at the Regina Regional Heritage Fair.
Once teachers have completed their Classroom and/or School Heritage Fair, teachers register their students selected to represent their school at the Regional Fair by April 10, 2018 on the online registration system (through the Heritage Saskatchewan website).
Please contact Regan Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the Regina Regional Fair. For more information about the Heritage Fairs program in general, or for questions regarding registration, please contact Katherine Gilks.