The 2017 Provincial Heritage Fair took place at Government House in Regina on Thursday, May 25, 2017. Students arrived for activities on Wednesday, May 24.
Public viewing was from 2:30 to 3:30pm on Thursday, May 25, followed by the Awards Ceremony. Once again, the Provincial Heritage Fair included visits to the Saskatchewan Science Centre, the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame, the Royal Saskatchewan Museum, the Saskatchewan Legislative Building, and Government House.
Congratulations to all who took park in the 2017 Provincial Heritage Fair! Fifty-eight students participated from various school divisions and both urban and rural communities. We had a wide variety of topics: David Suzuki, Banff National Park, the pioneer Jack Hitchcock, the Klondike Gold Rush, Vimy Ridge, Passchendaele, the Canadian flag, the Frank Slide, Tommy Douglas, the evolution of Medicare, residential schools, powwow regalia, Chinese immigration, and several family genealogy projects, among many others!
A special congratulations to the award winners:
Archives Award: Eryn Kielo (Grade 8, Delisle), for her project Jack Hitchcock
Digital Award: Connor Yeroschak (Grade 5, Moose Jaw), for his project The Frank Slide - The Mountain That Moves
Innovation Award: Ethan Done (Grade 8, Saskatoon), for hisproject The Klondike Gold Rush
Historical Thinking Award: Grayce McNeil (Grade 7, Warman), for her project My Opa's Escape from the Nazis during WW2
Saskatchewan Archaeological Society Award:
- Elijah Lagrelle & Marie Wolfe (Grade 5, Muskeg Lake), for their project Traditional Medicines
150th Anniversary of Canadian Confederation Award:
- Nicole Lindenschmidt (Grade 7, Hanley), for her project Uniquely Me - How I Came to Be Canadian
Top Ten Projects by Judges' Scores:
- David Suzuki (Brynn Cullen & Charlie McNeil, Grade 6, Regina)
- Banff National Park (Allister Merrifield, Grade 6, Rosetown)
- The Klondike Gold Rush (Ethan Done, Grade 8, Saskatoon)
- Vimy 1917 (Émil Ouellet, Grade 7, Regina)
- My Opa's Escape from the Nazis during WW2 (Grayce McNeil, Grade 7, Warman)
- Sikhs Shaping Canada (Jaysheen Gill, Grade 7, Saskatoon)
- Jack Hitchcock (Eryn Kielo, Grade 8, Delisle)
- Kootenai Brown (Colby Campbell, Grade 6, Swift Current)
- The Holocaust (Sasha Prut & Subhana Syed, Grade 8, Regina)
- Medicare (Baylie White, Grade 8, Davidson) & The Frank Slide - The Mountain That Moves (Connor Yeroschak, Grade 5, Moose Jaw) [tie for 10th]
Photos from the 2017 Provincial Heritage Fair are available at this link. We also invite you to check out the photos from the 2016 Provincial Heritage Fair, the 2015 Provincial Heritage Fair, the 2014 Provincial Heritage Fair, and the 2013 Provincial Heritage Fair video. See for yourself how exciting this opportunity is for students! (Or just check out the wonderful projects...)
For details on the Provincial and Regional Heritage Fairs, contact Katherine Gilks at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, see our video from the 2014 Regina Regional Heritage Fair for more information as well as to see more exciting Heritage Fair projects!
Check out the podcast we made in 2016 here!
Students featured include Nada Emara, Mustafa Emara, Ally McBurney, Brooke Wingert, Isaiah MacDonald, Nabeera Siddiqi, Sage Amell, Avery Ebenal, Lynnisa Pasap, Kent Shumlich, Brynn Cullen, Mya Grabarczyk, and Emil Ouellet. (Listen and let me know if I missed anyone!) Also included are interviews with Katherine Gilks, Ingrid Cazakoff, and Heidi Keyzer (mother of Sage Amell).